My 1950's Knitting Magazines...

A few weeks ago -while on Facebook- I checked the Men who Knit group. 
Daniel MacBride from Perth (a Spindle maker with his own firm named: Whorled Domination) offered some of his old patternbooks with patterns for Men.
I was lucky to get one from Patons.
They show typical 1950's garments for Men.
For Work, or maybe when coming home:




 For Sport: This one is for Skiing...



Complete with chart ofcourse...



 And this one....My favourite in Fair isle technique. I could see myself wearing this one, because I have something similar....



I think at that time the influence for Men fashion came by one of the great fashion icons of that era: The HRH Prince of Wales. As can be seen on this painting by John St. Heller Lander. The painting is made earlier, but this man made Fair Isle garments really fashionable.

What is interesting of those kind of magazines is that all patterns have a name from a person.
In this magazine they are named: Hugh, Clive, Ace, Desmond (with or without sleeves)....
There is even a Riverside and Ski-High..and..


I really haven't a clue why this is named "Vagabond"..because he doesn't look like he is a Vagabond...does he???....And neither does the sweater...

When checking my Dutch knittingmagazines from that time I also discovered that most of the patterns also had names related to persons..


So Inside : Margriet Breit (Margriet was, and is a very popular Women's magazine): a special magazine on knitting.. 95 cents at that time...

The slipover pattern for boys with my name Jan can be found..


And those for Men... 

A sweet little coat to wear in bed..or outside.. named Elis



 This one named "Hinde" with embroided deer on it...could be worn today I am sure...



And for the little boys.. Hansje and Frans..to suits with short trousers...\I do hope that the yarn used wasn't itchy..



I have some more..This one from Libelle (also a weekly magazine for Women..still going strong) about Crochet and Knitting from February 1951..

With this hat made from Angora yarn..

And inside the Libelle from 13 October 1950..



Next to articles about the latest fashion, recipes, an article about a Dutch women living in Caïro... this pattern for a shawl for an elderly woman can be founnd..



I think it is interesting what those magazines show us today..

The ability for women to knit a fashionable garment for either themselves or the family.

Usually necessary because it was cheaper to knit than to buy. (yes, times have changed..) 
But they also must have felt good when knitting and finishing the garment and trying it on for the first time.
The reactions from family or friends when they did wear it to church, work, or a party... 
The Oooh's and Aahh's..

And..You look Wonderfull..and Did you knit it yourself??

The last sentence is still working today...most of the time...











Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

About Dutch Fishermans Ganseys..and a bit More..

Crushed by Jean Paul Gaultier....