Crushed by Jean Paul Gaultier....


Jean Paul Gaultier.. 
My Hero when I studied Fashion at Art College.
I remember buying the magazine Marie Claire Bis every season..
And in the where...
The most spectaculair Designs by him. 

This afternoon I found a map full of photo's with his designs from the time I studied Fashion Design.

Combinations no one ever dreamed off..

Chiffon and lace Aprons...

Old Models...


Amazing adverts..

Guess he was -and still is- a big inspiration for Fashion students..
I remember that we had to make an illustration with silk paper and I used one of his designs. I have always kept it.


At the moment De Kunsthal in Rotterdam shows the exhibition: 

The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier
From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk

I went yesterday..
I had doubts ofcourse because Bram is so weak..
But the nurses told me to go..
Neighbours took care..
Jochum came and stayed the whole afternoon..
And I could take a break from a few hours,. and breath...
I was a bit nervous when I left.. but that went away during the first hour..
It has done me good.

Coming out of the railwaystation one could see that Gaultier has taken over the City..
Trees were covered with the famous stripe..


All the way to the Kunsthal..

I bought a ticket...and..
A breathtaking 2 hours experience followed...

30 years Gaultier..
He is 60 now..6 years older than me..
And I must say: He is still mone of my Fashion Heroes..
I took almost 400 pictures.. and some of them can be seen here..(better see them in Real)

One advice...if you can: GO!!!! (closing the 12th of May)

Presented on mannequins..but with an amazing twist. 
By using beamers faces are projected on the heads.. 
They flirt, laugh, smile...all kind of expressions..
Garments come from Pret-A-Porter and Haute Couture Collections and are mixed together)

The exhibition has 6 different sections and starts with:
Odyssey


Items from collections named: Virgins (of Madonnas) from Spring/Summer 2007
Beautiful details and real craftmanship.






Even a mermaid with crutches apppeared. 
(Watch the shells used as bra and the coral on her crutches)


Next to those extravaganza is his other Signature form Mr. G.
The use of the blue and white striped Bretons shirts.



Ostrich feathers on a striped silk dress. (2000)



And a shirt made of tiny blue and white beads. (1997)
Another striking dress was made of bands of lace.


But this one was my favourite of that section.


Stripes ending in a train. So clever and new. (Spring/ Summer 2002)

Next was: The Boudoir
With corsetery


Items he designed for Madonna's Blonde Ambition Tour..(Gosh, I love those drawings. I have an article with all of them)



 His Iconic Velvet Dress with Cone shaped Cups..


And the teddybear from his youth...

Skin Deep...entering the world of Seduction in all kind Atmospheres...


 And variations..


After that..it was...Punk CanCan.

With.. La Parisienne

A totally covered women in Pied-de-Poule..


The Skirt for Men (well actually it is a pantalon with an extra flap in front.)


Variations on the Colbert.
(and I found the matching advert)


The CanCan..Ofcourse..


Fabric based on the camouflage pattern..for an evening dress.

Jeans in all his Glory..



 And Punk!!


Next up...Urban Jungle.
Garments based on Different Cultures, Periods, Folk-art etc.. (my favourite part of the expo!)

Being a Knitter...this one got my special attention (Collection Russia 1997/1998)
Must be kmade by a very experienced person..




The combination from Knitting and Crochet..
All the different stitches and Patterns..Irish Crochet, Cables, Lace....etc..
MindBlowing!!!

Perfection can be seen in the evening dress based on a traditional Russian Folk Dress.




Bead by Bead..handstitched on the fabric and made after traditional embroidery motivs.... Pure Glittering Beauty.

Out of the Collections: The Great Journey (1994/1995) and Voyage (2010/2011).






I think those items can still be worn..They are AgeLess..
Nomads is a theme by Lidewij Edelkoort. This fits perfectly in that theme..

Another Artisanal Made One..Pieces of crocodile leather crocheted together..


This looks like a leopardskin..


 In real they are tiny beads...


Metropolis is the name of the last section.
Garments made for a Film..or inspired by Film..



 From the Movie Kika by Almodóvar.


And The Dress made from film.

There is much..Much..MUCH more to see..but I don't want you to have the feeling that you see the whole expo in this blog.

Special for me was to realize that a lot of garments from the exposition were designed during my time at ArtSchool. 
And that almost all of them could be worn today. Without a doubt you would look great in it.
When leaving..
I felt Crushed...
Pleasantly Crushed by Gaultier.

Reacties

  1. Hier zijn geen woorden voor........................zoooooooooooooooooooooooo mooi, inspirerend, out of the box, technisch magnifiek, creatief,inventief, boven alles uitstijgen................ en zo nog wel honderd meer uitdrukkingen.
    Je foto's zijn geweldig!
    En wat heeft de Kunsthal er een prachtig overzicht van gemaakt, mooi tentoongesteld.

    Ik ga zeker heen!
    Dank voor deze geweldige voorproeverij!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. allemaal uit 1 hoofd!! Ongelooflijk. wat een inspiratie. Grensoverschrijdend. Balen dat ik zo verweg woon, mazzel dat ik jou ken en mee mag kijken!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Isn't it an amazing show? I saw it in San Francisco - mesmerizing!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Wat een geweldige tentoonstelling was het... genoot. En genoot ook van jouw vakkundige beschrijving.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

About Dutch Fishermans Ganseys..and a bit More..