A Delightful Sunday-Afternoon Filled with Art....

I just came home from a Sunday afternoon full of Modern Art..
Last Thursday I got invited by a friend to go with her to the opening of the exhibition:


at CODA in Apeldoorn this afternoon. (Thanks José for taking me with you!!) 
It is about a Collection of Jewelry by the owners of Gallery Ra in Amsterdam. In the past I have bought some items at this gallery, but over the last years, jewelry for me got out of sight. Since following the goldsmithcourse I got this interest back. Last evening I suddenly found an old 70's leather bracelet - worn by Bram - back. 

It is rather funny that he did wear this bracelet, because wearing jewelry wasn't something for him. It took some time before he said yes to me question that I really would like to have us a ring after being together for 20 years. But.. he did..and a jeweler made us 2 beautiful silver rings..with a little piece of gold.

But, I can see him wearing this with an silk India scarf and boots. At least..that is what he told me once..Yes..those wear the days of an artistic man.


I have found this photo from the beginning of the 70's, and he is wearing a rather sturdy leather watch strap. Very fashionable in those days. It is still in a box downstairs. 



He has kept it always in a box next to all the letters he got from his former lovers and friends (It tells his personal history and on rainy afternoons I like to read some of them). This bracelet is from that same period.

And the mustache? He has always kept it...and I loved it..still do, when I look at photo's from him. 
They say that man with a mustache are vain..
Yes..he was (in a way), and I loved that too...
Nothing wrong with men who are vain as long as they take themselves not too serious...

Since last night I wear his bracelet. 
And,I decided this morning to wear his bright blue Ralph Lauren shirt next to it, and it makes me feel good. Next to being with me in my mind,he is there too when I wear his shirts. 

A lot lot of jewelry lovers were attending the exhibition. In a way it was an exhibition next to the exhibition.
But..it was kind of trip through 50 years of modern jewelry.
Those 2 bracelets have always been favorite to me, and I still would love to wear them.
If only I had the money to buy them..

1972,Hans Appenzeller. Aluminium/ Rubber.
1971/1990, Francoise van den Bosch, Anodized Aluminium.
I have had the ring in the middle for years. Designed by Paul Derrez in 1975. When I had sold an item from my final collection at Art school I finally had to money to have that one made for me. At that time I was 31 and I did wear it till last year (a total of 23 years, day in and day out), when the silver broke and it wasn't possible to repair it. Now I only have the perspex pieces...who knows I might buy another one in the future. Simply because it is such a good design and a good design for a men's ring.




I think Paul Derrez is also featured in this broche -made out of fur and silver- named: 
Mr. Paul by Noon Passama in 2001.



I have a similar one. but mine has thorns to it...but...really have to search where it is left. And I know I have to buy a new dried rose for it.

1993, Esther Knobel, Metal/ Dried rose.

But, there is another bracelet which has always fascinated me. 


Made by Otto Künzli in 1980, and the title is "Gold macht blind". Inside this rubber tube is a red golden ball. You have to trust the designer that is is true...I so Love this thought.


One of the most personal items is this collier made out of circles taken out of an antique plate, which was used at dinners at the home of the collectors. Made in 2009 by Gésine Hackenberg.


LAM de Wolf made this collier from wood and textiles in 1982, called: Little Square, I have a multiple from her here at home which was made especially for Gallery Ra.  It is hanging at the wall for more than 20 years, and I still like to look at it.


Next to all jewelry, there is the exhibition "Paper Art", which I already visited with my colleague Riky in the last week of the summer-holiday.


A really "MUST SEE" I think. 
The magical world of paper in all shapes and forms.
Just some images for you to see, but better GO There..it ends at 27/10/2013.







I came home round 4, and on my I-phone was the message that there was another opening at "Kunstenlab" in my city. 
Why not go there I thought?? 
Took my bike and went.

While biking I realized myself, that over the last years Bram and myself hardly went to see art, or went to openings. We both have missed that, and we often talked about it. Sometimes I went alone, but going together has always much better and more interesting.

But now I have to go alone. There is no one waiting for me at home. I can stay as long as I want. And in a way I love this freedom, despite the fact that (ofcourse) I miss him at those moments. 
But on the other hand I know he would like me to go and enjoy it.
He would be disappointed in me, if I wouldn't go to these events and stay at home instead of enjoying them. Luckily I am an Out-going person and I have no fear to talk to strangers.
And of course he is there too in conversations as I had this afternoon. 

The exhibition is called:
"Shared Heritage"
Group exhibition about the history of slavery in the art.

It is an interesting and often confronting exhibition on the topic of Slavery.
One part stepped out for me:



The installation 'Talking Hats' by artist Renée Koldewijn is about the subtle way the female slaves offered resistance against their oppressors. They developed with the headscarf a secret language. By the way it was folded around the head, they harbored secret messages.

This is exactly where my interest goes when I think about garments (which is so different from talking and thinking about trends in fashion). 
It is the message behind it..
Why do you wear it? 
What do you want to tell??
What is the history??

Those dolls, made in Senegal..they look the same in their appearance, but all are different. 
All have different DNA...Plastic DNA one could say..

I had a very interesting talk with Renée (and another woman who was born in Senegal) and was touched when we spoke about mourning and what color one would wear in the situation when a loved one passed away. At that point Bram appeared..
White, Black and Red are possibilities.
Red...that is kind of special for me if you have read my blog-post on the importance of red for me.


There are 2 dolls in the installation who wear a hat when someone has passed away and you can recognize it at the folded cross at the back.


I really would like to buy this one if it is not too expensive for me. I will contact Renée about it. It would be a nice gift to myself as part of my Mourning process.

Mieke, the director of Kunstenlab invited me to have dinner with all artists and I had a nice conversation with Margot de Jager. Her work is also in another exhibition in "Kunstenlab" with the title: Surprised, Lost (together with very delicate work by 


Being a "Textile Lover" I really liked this work of her. Paint combined with fragile stitching..

It was Truly: 
A Delightful Sunday-Afternoon Filled with Art....

P.s. 
I Promise:
Next time it will be on Knitting and Spinning..
Yes..did block that red Scarf and still spinning..
And a little review on the Gansey book.. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

About Dutch Fishermans Ganseys..and a bit More..

Crushed by Jean Paul Gaultier....